Letter from James as to Why He is Offering a Training
I’m happy that you’re interested in and want to share the Awakening Joy (AJ) principles and practices. This teacher training component of the course is for people who have taken the course before and are already familiar with the material.
This will be the second year of training Awakening Joy teachers. Last year’s experience surpassed all my hopes and expectations. Getting to know the 25 Certified AJ Teachers, follow their progress and watch their growing confidence as they led their groups through the material was a genuine pleasure and truly rewarding experience. You can read the evaluations about their training experience here: https://www.awakeningjoy.info/traineeTestimonials.php.
If you successfully complete the training you will too will become a certified Awakening Joy Instructor. You will be authorized to use and share the materials with others (giving credit to Awakening Joy and James), lead groups, classes and daylong workshops. Exceptions are engaging in public outreach online or through social media that would in some way compete with my offering of the course, including not putting the full course online. (It's fine to offer the program through online participation, if people have their own personal list or private group.) You will be allowed to use the Awakening Joy brand and you will be authorized to charge or not charge for taking people through the course.
There are several reasons I am encouraging others to share this material:
- After many decades of teaching, I can attest to the adage that those who teach learn the material best of all. As you deepen your familiarity with the principles they will become embodied understanding and will be expressed through you in a more refined and different way than when you take the course as a participant.
- As I say in the chapter on intention, when we widen our intention in the spirit of contribution to others there is a greater experience of joy. Martin Seligman notes in his book, Authentic Happiness, that the greatest happiness comes from contributing to the welfare of others.
- I see this course as more than just a nice thing to share with friends. At this time in our world we need as much consciousness and goodness as we can create. A good friend of mine, a leader in the environmental movement once told me that these teachings of consciousness are the key to human beings developing a lifesaving relationship to the planet.
- As it is said in some wisdom teachings, sharing consciousness with like-minded friends is the greatest support for our own development.
- What better way to develop more joy, happiness and fulfillment than to share these principles with friends, relatives and others?
- I strongly believe in the rippling effect of passing on goodness. Those who will be on the receiving end of your sharing will also be passing those principles on to everyone they meet. Goodness is contagious. And the way I see it the more consciousness we create in the world the more it just keeps getting passed on.
I’m very happy to share this material with quality and qualified people. I love helping to bring out the best in others. It’s been one of my favorite parts of all the teaching I’ve done over the years. I created two programs at Spirit Rock that have shown me the power of believing in others. The Community Dharma Leaders program (CDL) has developed hundreds of leaders sharing the principles that we teach at Spirit Rock with communities all over the world. I also created and wrote the guidelines for the Kalyana Mitta (KM) or Spiritual Friends Network, which spawned hundreds of small peer-led groups. The thought that in leading this training I can help create a network of leaders who can support many more people in cultivating greater joy and consciousness in the world using the AJ materials brings me great happiness. Thank you for your interest.
May you be happy,
Elements of the Awakening Joy Training Program
Fill out the Teacher Training Application.